Tuesday, July 3, 2007

speaking of salons...

As I was driving past a salon the other day, I noticed their mani/pedi special. It was significantly less than I normally pay so I thought I'd try it out.

never again
It started out okay; the salon was a nice place to escape the heat of the day. The spa chairs reclined + had massage options. After choosing a summery pink polish, I slipped my feet in the warm, swirling water + was just starting to relax when the workers erupted into animated conversation. This normally doesn't bother me but they were speaking a different language, so since I couldn't join in, I cranked up my trusty ipod + tuned out...

...only to be rudely tapped back to reality. The girl assigned to do my mani wanted to begin right then instead of taking me to a nail station when my pedi was done. Which meant that each time I started to drift into la la land, little miss girlie tapped me for one hand or the other.

Oh-kay. Since I couldn't drift, I read my book. I noticed that the other ladies were cleaning up + counting their money. Girlie picked up her pace, rushing through the rest of my mani.

no-TOE-rious

I have a history of messing up freshly done nails, so I usually put my slippers on before the polish. Well, I forgot + Girlie didn't think of it. After giving me a measly two minutes in front of a fan, she plopped my slippers down + handed me my purse, totally giving me the bum rush. I knew it was a bad idea, but I tried to ease my feet into my slippers + - yep, you guessed it - screwed up my big toe.

When I pointed it out to her, she slapped on more pink polish, not even trying to smooth it out, + sent me on my merry (!) way. Knowing a lost cause when I see it (just an hour too late), I held my tongue + walked out the door.


So here's to the tried + true: http://nailshop.com/.

Because you really do get what you pay for.

Ke Akua pu.