Sunday, July 1, 2007

just so we're clear

I am keiki o ka ʻāina, a child of this land. I love Hawaiʻi + all that it stands for. I ache for those who have suffered indignities such as loss of land + erosion of spirit. I wholeheartedly support the steps we as Hawaiians are taking to reclaim our ʻāina, restore our culture + preserve our history.

I understand the visitor industry + appreciate how it sustains our economy. Everyone in Hawaiʻi is impacted by visitors in one way or another. I grew up in it - my parents met while working at one of the first resorts on Maui. I've danced in hotel shows/lūʻau since the age of three + worked at resorts, airlines, the hotel association + the visitors bureau. I met many of my dearest, lifelong friends while working or dancing hula. I stop to kōkua those who are clearly lost - the ones in the rental car on the side of the road, poring over the huge map in front of them.

BUT. There are two things I must say:

1. tread lightly
Please be respectful of the hard-working people who carry your bags, check you in, serve your meals, clean up after you + take you to historic places. Don't trample over heiau or sit on lava rock walls that have stood the test of elements + time. Have respect for the sacred sites you visit. Lower your voice, or better yet, just hāmau (be quiet) + soak in the mana. Mālama ka ʻāina - take care of the land - leave each place better than you found it. Don't carelessly leave behind your cigarette butts, bottles, cans, or your baby's diapers (it's happened, trust me).

2. get out of my sunset
Ask anyone. I'm not confrontational or territorial by nature...but when I find an out-of-the-way spot on a big, beautiful stretch of beach to enjoy the sunset, please don't choose the very spot right in front of me to take your family pictures. Don't block my soul-calming view of nā honu coming to visit. Don't climb up the tree right behind me + proceed to talk loudly about why the Bahamas are better, or how ugly you think Kahoʻolawe is (if you only knew its history!). Don't bring all your drunk, smoking dudes with bongos, guitars or whatever + start wailing the only song you know at the top of your lungs...over + over.

Because perhaps if visitors were more aware + respectful, the derogatory phrase "dumb haole" would cease to exist.

Ke Akua pū.