Monday, May 11, 2009

hauʻoli lā makuahine

With love to all the beautiful mothers + mothers-at-heart I know...especially my own mommy, kuʻu makuahine makamae. I love you!

This poem was given to me by my Auntie Susan upon graduation. I've always used it to sort of check my "inner compass" and to see if I was fulfilling each of these criteria to the best of my ability.

That Woman is a Success...

Who loves life and lives it to the fullest;
who has discovered and shared the strengths and talents that are uniquely her own;
who puts her best into each task and leaves each situation better than she found it;
who seeks and finds that which is beautiful in all people...and all things;
whose heart is full of love and warm with compassion;
who has found joy in living and peace within herself.

~ Barbara J. Burrow